The requirement

You must declare that you have, or will have when practising, appropriate cover under an indemnity arrangement.

As a registered nurse, midwife or nursing associate you are legally required to have a professional indemnity arrangement in place in order to practise. Most employers provide the appropriate cover for their employees, but it is worth checking with your employer to confirm this. If you are self-employed you will need to have arranged your own professional indemnity cover. You don’t need to provide evidence to prove you meet this requirement – you just need to confirm you have the appropriate cover when making your application.

For more information on professional indemnity, read our guidance document and visit the professional indemnity page on the main NMC website.